Sunday, August 15, 2010

Strawberry Ice Cream Pie

Mmmm....who loves ice cream? Who loves pie? If you have answered NO to any of these questions...well your just crazy! I love ice cream and I love pie, so I thought why not put them together. OK I know I am not the first one to put this idea together but hey I am going with that anyway! I have made a couple of different kinds of ice cream pie but this one is for Strawberry Ice cream pie.

First we will start with the pie crust. My favorite online recipe place to go is allrecipes.com. I use it faithfully, and I never pick a recipe unless it is 4-5 (5 being the highest) stars in ratings. All three of the recipes we will be using for this pie is from allrecipes.com

Pie Crust (Graham Cracker Crust by Carol)
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
6 tbs butter melted

I took one package of the graham crackers and put them in my vita-mix and ground them very fine. Once they were done I mixed 1/3 cup sugar with the crackers. I melted my 6 tbs of butter and mixed that into the cracker and sugar mix. Once all of the cracker crumbs were nice and wet I poured it into a 9" pie plate and with the back of the spoon shaped the crumbs into the pie plate. Make sure you get up the sides nice and good. Once that is done bake the pie crust in the oven for 7 min on 375 degrees fahrenheit. When it is cooked set it aside to cool.

Strawberry Ice Cream (Easy, Eggless Strawberry Ice Cream by ejw825)
Ingredients

2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups mashed fresh strawberries
2 drops red food coloring (optional)

Directions
In a large bowl, combine the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla, strawberries, and food coloring. Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. With my strawberries my husband hates frozen fruit in things because they are so hard to chew through so I took a 1 pound package of strawberries and threw them into my vita-mix and pureed them very well. I did not add the food coloring because the pureed strawberries gave the ice cream a very nice pink color.

There was a little more ice cream mixture then my ice cream maker could handle and I have a 2 quart machine so as it started to thicken I would take out a little cup here and there and we would just eat it as it was coming out or you could just stick it in the freezer or just hold out some of the mixture and keep it in your fridge and make the next day.

Once the ice cream was done I put it into my cooled graham cracker crust and put it in the freezer and let it set up.

Whipped Cream (Sweetened Whipped Cream by Taste of Home Test Kitchen)
Ingredients

1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions

In a chilled small mixing bowl and with chilled beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.

Working very quickly so it would not melt I took out my piping bag and a decorative tip and piped the cream onto the pie. I did that for looks you can just use a knife or a spoon and spread the cream around as well. After the cream was on the pie I took my squeeze bottle of caramel and drizzled it on top and for looks and color added quartered slices of strawberries on top. Freeze and ENJOY!

1 comment: