Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dutch Oven BBQ Chicken

I don't have central air in my house so it gets really hot in my house when I have to use my stove and especially when I have to use my oven! So this summer we have tried to do a lot grilling, but our new favorite this summer is dutch oven cooking. Our neighbor makes some of the best dutch oven chicken and we finally got his recipe for it. We about died when we realized how simple it was! Ok you ready.....here is the recipe.
1. 6-10 skinless chicken thighs (we have done it with bone in and out, I prefer out)
2. 1 bottle Sweet Baby Rays Honey bbq sauce
3. 1/2 cup of brown sugar

Yep thats it. I typically buy Bulls Eye Original bbq sauce, but for this recipe Sweet Baby Rays is what you need! First you need to start heating up your charcoal. Next you want to braise the chicken on your grill to seal in the juices. While your chicken is braising take your dutch oven and mix the sauce and the brown sugar together. Once your coals are heated throughly (you want them to be white) then you arrange about 12-15 coals on bottom and 10 coals on top. Take your chicken off the grill and put them in your dutch oven, mix them in the sauce so they are nice and coated in it. Then put the top on and cook them for 1 hour to 1.5 hours until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit.

I served this with green beans and my rice pilaf. It was so tasty good. My three year old has been going on a food strike for awhile were she would only eat about half her dinner and then claim to be done. We didn't have to ask her once to please eat her food, or to please sit down and finish her dinner. She didn't even ask for water (which is huge for her at meal time). The next thing we knew she was asking to be done please and her bowl was empty!

No comments:

Post a Comment